Welcome


Welcome to my new and redesigned Gaming Blog.

See you on the Battlefield.


Monday, 8 February 2016

First Bolt Action Tournament, list ideas...

Well on the 20th Feb I will be attending my first Bolt Action Tournament at Hulls Angels. I'm really looking forward to this as with only three games under my belt with my Commando's its going to be a challenge. Even though I've only played three games I feel that my green beret force has done me proud with two draws and one loss.
So far I've been using just the Generic list from the British forces book but for the tournament I'm seriously thinking about using the 47 R.M. Commando list. I'm toying with a few lists from this force but so far this is the one that I'm thinking of playing with the most.

National Char = Up and at em

HQ

2Lt with smg
4x Cdo's with smg's

Cdo medic

FFO (Artillery/ Naval guns)

Troops

6x Cdo's 4 rifles 2 smg's
NCO with smg.

6x Cdo's 4 rifles 2 smg's
NCO with smg.

6x Cdo's 4 rifles 2 smg's
NCO with smg.

6x Cdo's 4 rifles 2 smg's
NCO with smg.

Support

Cdo Medium machine gun team

Cdo Medium mortar team

Cdo Sniper team

Tank

Centaur CS (regular)

1000pts on the head with 11 dice to play with. Everyone apart from the FFO has tough fighter and behind enemy lines.
Its something very similar to what I have been using with the generic selector, one weakness this force has is it certainly lacks anti-tank, but at 1000 points I'm hoping that tanks will be few and far between, I have tried using Piat teams in previous games but the shaped charge rule, the fact you have to get almost point blank range and side on leaves the team very exposed and vulnerable to be cut to pieces when they miss (as mine always seem to do). If there is any armour then I'm going o try and ignore it and keep my commandos away or in cover.
So tactics wise keep the commandos in cover whilst they close with the enemy and then once in position use the up and at em rule and launch assaults where these guys excel. Its a very aggressive playing force and relies on closing with the enemy fast, but the limited amount of numbers means I also have to be very careful how I deploy and advance. Making full use of cover and the behind enemy lines rule will also help to keep these guys safe (ish) until they turn up guns blazing and heading into assaults.

Whilst designing the RM list I've also been having a crack at coming up with a Fallschirmjager force.
I've really struggled getting a list I like, the Germans have so many toys to play with but I'm finding their points cost rather high to be able to squeeze everything I want in it. The standard Fallie comes in at 14 points, veteran yes but no dedicated rules, the standard Commando comes in at 14 points and has Tough fighters, behind enemy lines rules which makes a big difference. Its a shame as the Fallschirmjager were classed as a pretty elite force, rules like the British para's line (stubborn) would be a nice addition. Especially as how these guys fought against the Allies and brought them to a stand still/ stalemate in Italy. Anyways enough complaining about the Germans and onto the force, I've included a Heer Pioneer squad for some flamer fun, the Fallschirmjager had Pioneer units trained from 1940 so I've included a unit in this force 8).

HQ

2nd LT (regular) with assault rifle (AR)
1 para with AR

Troops

NCO with smg
2 x Para's with AR
4 x Para's with Rifles
1 x Panzerfaust

NCO with smg
2 x Para's with AR
4 x Para's with Rifles
1 x Panzerfaust

NCO with smg
2 x Para's with AR
4 x Para's with Rifles
1 x Panzerfaust

NCO with smg
2 x Para's with AR
4 x Para's with Rifles

NCO with smg
1 x pioneer with flamer
5 x pioneer with rifles

Support

Medium machine gun

Medium Mortar

Sniper team

Panzerschreck team

Artillery

150mm Nebelwerfer 41

Transport

SdKfz 251/1 half-track  

I'm still not happy with this force but I think it will give me lots of options and tactical flexibility. The plan is for the 2nd Lt to hitch a ride in the half track with the Pioneers and outflank, with maybe one or two squads of Fallies depending on the mission, the rest of the force will provide supporting fire. Once they come on the table the Pioneers will dismount and flame stuff and the 2nd LT will use the Half-track mmg to lay down the hurt. I could also place the Panzerschreck in the transport to give the assault element some anti-tank capability too.
The Nebelwerfer is there solely to keep the enemy spread out, I have no doubt of its inability to hit anything! But if it does hit then it will be a bonus, its multiple launcher rule also allows a roll to hit on any enemy units within 6" of its target keeps the enemy from bunching up too much and I'm hoping will make things easier for my outflanking force to pick off easy targets (divide and conquer)
I think the key to using this force will be to keep all the troops from being engaged in assault, the firebase support needs to be mobile and if they get threatened then they need to bug out to another position. The Assault rifles will help here with two shots and no movement penalty when rolling to hit. I did want to put a few lmg's in the squads but they are too much of a points drain for what you get which is a shame.
I did toy with having a crack using the Germans but time constraints means I have very little time to paint this force up before the 20th Feb. I want these to be painted to a high standard, a real showcase of an army and tie it in with my Industrial board that I'm working on.
So what do you think? How would you change the two forces?

Comments welcome.

Again thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment