Welcome


Welcome to my new and redesigned Gaming Blog.

See you on the Battlefield.


Thursday, 17 January 2013

Progress made....I think.

I think I might have a Raider scheme sorted, that I'm happy with.
 But first after my fail attempts yesterday I put the Raider to one side and picked up my second squad of Warriors, these have been made since Xmas and I hadn't really thought of a colour scheme for them either and as I needed a change I just picked a brush to see what I could come up with.
As I already had the colours lay out next to me I decided I would try for a bone effect (again). However as i started painting things seemed to flow better for me this time and it just sort of clicked. Working with the Warrior model is a lot easier than the Raider and here is the WIP model as it stands so far.



Its still wet looking as I've just finished a wash on the model, but I'm very happy with the way it has turned out so far. My success with this warrior made me have another go at the Raider. Again this is WIP, I've been using the stippling and very dry brushing techniques to try and get the effect I'm after, each lay of paint was then washed down with a very, very light brown wash.

The bottom picture shows the model without any highlights. I'm using the highlights to judge if I need to keep on stippling/ dry brushing. What I want to ask you is this, do you think it needs some more? I've got to the point were I'm not sure now, do I need to stop or carry on and bring the stippling/ dry brush to the same sort of contrast/ colour as the highlights.

Let me know what you guys think please, as I'm don't want to fuk this up again.

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Update 2a

Right thanks for the suggestions guys on the previous post. I've done some more searching on the internet and I have a few idea's banging around in my head.

First up: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/359105.page

Here is an example of roughly the colour scheme that I was after, its still a bit harsh on the highlighting (no disrespect to the painter) for me, but it gives and shows me that a bone effect can be done on the Raider. I'm thinking that maybe my washes are too dark so I'm going to try and make some really light- dark washes tomorrow if that makes any sense to you and build up the shading one wash at a time.

Secondly I quite like the look of this idea : http://www.vampirecounts.net/Thread-Dogmars-Dark-Eldar-painting-log-Distractions-and-Raider-Crew?page=2

Maybe combine the both with a bone coloured scheme.

What do you guys think?


Update number 2

Well its been just over a week since my last post on the Tale of the Gamers and tbh I'm having a nightmare with my Haemonculus transport.
Its had about five different colour schemes so far and I'm still not happy. I know what I want, its just getting it which is proving to be the problem.
What I'm after is a bone effect, sounds simple doesn't it, well I'm finding bloody hard to get it right. The problem I'm having is shading the main body and the highlights to get that bone effect, because the Raiders body is made up of large flat and also curved areas its a bitch to get it right.
Any suggestions as I'm really running out of ways to get this solved and I need help.

Sunday, 6 January 2013

Tale of the Gamers

Post one.

Well I have been real busy this first week in Jan, with painting and decorating the Nursery, waiting for the new cot and furniture to arrive and finding somewhere to store it all whilst the paint is drying. I've also tried to get my Insurance company interested in replacing my water damaged Kitchen floor (very slow work) but I'm finally getting somewhere now. I've also been finishing off the wall papering of the master bedroom (finally) and also the first week back to work after an Xmas off (first time in 6 years). I even managed to go for a blast on the motorbike yesterday, as the sun was out and its been very mild for time time of year, huge grins on my face when I got back.
Anyway back to the Hobby stuff, first up I want to show off my Haemonculus (I think that's the right spelling) almost completed now just the final highlights to paint and he will be done.




You will have to excuse the camera work (I know it sucks) but I was just messing around with the i-pads camera and actually found it to be of a better quality than my old camera.
Sometime during this project I aim to make a miniature photo booth to take pic's of my finished models and show them better but that's going to have to wait till I have some spare time.

Well its not a bad start and he has some troops in the form of  five Wracks almost completed to back him up.
The paint scheme was pretty simple and if I have time I might do a step by step painting instruction later on but I'm mainly trying to get my models painted up first.
250 points doesn't sound much, but the Dark Eldar can fit quite a lot of models in that amount. My Haemonculus, Wracks and a Raider comes to 225 which leaves me two models worth of points to finish off the Warrior squad that's been already painted.

Well that's all for now

Skal

Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Happy New Year

Happy New Year everyone,

First up, Tale of the Gamers went live today, you now have until the 28th Feb 2013 to get your first 250pts/ 40K or 300-350pts/ Warhammer painted up and posted on your respective Blogs or the Tale of the Gamers Blog that Mart is working on.
I haven't heard back from the Warmachine guys if they are joining us in this venture so we will have to wait and see if they are in later.

Good Luck to all,

I'm looking forward to seeing some cracking modelling and painting Blog's and also by the end of it some fully painted/ finished armies doing battle on the table tops at Hulls Angels.

Regards Skal